Verwood Historical Society
is pleased to give access to the Parish
Records which members have transcribed over the years. These give much information about the
families who lived in Verwood.
Our transcriptions of these
records are intended for personal use and not in any commercial capacity nor for
wholesale copying to other websites or publications.
Early census returns come as a separate section under the umbrella
of Cranborne parish and include the parts of Three Legged Cross now
incorporated into the Ecclesiastical and Civil parish of Verwood.
Returns are the work of different Census Enumerators who entered
the information as they saw fit. In several instances the birthplace
is given as Cranborne, indicating somewhere within that large parish
and not necessarily restricted to the town itself. Others are
more specific for instance Verwood.
Census Returns are Crown Copyright and transcriptions are provided
here by permission of HMSO under Licence No. C02W0003862.
Copies of the original handwritten returns can be viewed at the
Public Record Office, Kew: Family History Centre, Islington:
Dorset History Centre (formerly Dorset Record Office) and other location.
Our transcriptions should be checked against them for
AND NON-CONFORMIST REGISTERS
Until 1887 Verwood was in the Ecclesiastical
Parish of Cranborne, Dorset. Marriages of Verwood people
before that date will be found in the Cranborne Registers.
Prior to this, Verwood Anglican Church was not licensed to
In 1829 Verwood was granted an Anglican Chapel
of Ease, later rebuilt as St. Michael and All Angels Parish
Church. From this time Baptisms and Burials could take
place in Verwood. The mother church kept the registers
for a while until Verwood recorded its own entirely from 1840.
In 1887 Verwood became an Ecclesiastical Parish
in its own right, for a short time including West Moors.
Verwood Historical Society has recorded,
over the years, the Baptisms, Marriages and Burials which took
place at the Anglican Church and those of some Verwood people
from the Cranborne registers.
Between times the Independent Chapel, later
Congregational and then United Reformed Church and the Methodist
Church kept a record of their baptisms which have been preserved
between certain dates.
The original registers have been deposited in
Dorset History Centre (formerly Dorset Record Office) and our records should be
checked against them for accuracy.
were the tenth part of a person’s produce which was paid in kind annually to the
church. Tithe maps were made following the Tithe Commutation Act of 1836 which
provided for the commutation of tithes into a money payment. The maps
accompanied an award or schedule. Three copies of the document were made:
The Tithe Commissioners’ copy which is now in the National Record Office,
The Diocesan copy usually at the County Record Office
The Parish copy at the County Record Office
apportionment or award gives details for each individual property including a
description, the name of the owner and occupier, its acreage and cultivation.
Some properties were not included on the award for a variety of reasons, the
principal being that the land was owned by the tithe owner.
Verwood’s Tithe Map and Apportionment is dated 1847. Unfortunately the map is
too large to be reproduced on this website but can be seen at Dorset History
Centre. However, if you wish to know where in Verwood the property was
situated please e-mail us.
Files will open in a new
page in Adobe Acrobat format. If you do not have this installed,
click here for free Viewer